Search This Blog

Sunday 16 October 2011

A Day With The Agents

On Thursday of last week, I decided to pay a visit to all my local estate agents. You don't always get to know everything that's going on unless you visit the office itself, and it proved to be quite an interesting day.

I probably spent around four or five hours doing the rounds, and surprisingly I was the only customer in most of them. Lots of people about on the streets, but no one looking to buy houses it seems. If they only knew where to look and what to ask for, it might be different because I was offered several juicy deals on the day.

Almost everyone I spoke to in the agents' offices was helpful, eager to please, and generally very nice. Worryingly, there were a couple of exceptions from staff I hadn't met before. Disinterested, preoccupied and bordering on the rude in one case. I can simply choose to take my custom elsewhere, but I do worry that some people don't understand you have to do more, not less in these troubled times.

There, rant over.

Another great reason I like to actually visit the offices is to dig out some of the deals that don't always come my way, and sure enough, Thursday produced a few gems.

There was the nearly new apartment owned by a part exchange company who "just want an offer...any offer", to a builder buy back of a structurally defective property, cash buyers only! And the biggest surprise came after a simple enquiry I made about a stylish little apartment.

It turns out the vendor has fourteen other properties to sell, all in nice locations, and would offer a generous discount for a multiple purchase. With a valuation of over £2 million, that's a lot of savings to be made.

Now where did I leave that money lying around?

No comments:

Post a Comment